To some, the past few months have been a whirlwind of despair.
North Korea threatens us with a nuclear attack. Tornados tear through Georgia destroying the homes of hundreds. We are currently engaged in a bitter debate on gun control, with some states rallying against proposed federal legislation. Should I go on?
With each visit to a news site, I find negativity permeating from one end to the next of this great nation.
And great it most certainly is.
Where else can you wear sandals with socks; eat Chinese, Mexican and Italian all in the same day; or visit museums paying homage to potatoes, televisions or cheese?
With all the negativity inundating the media, let’s take a minute to remember all the reasons why America is great.
1. Chicken wings. Maybe you heard about the potential “chicken apocalypse” days before the 49ers vs. Ravens game. Fear not. We pulled through with plenty of wings to go around.
2. Beyonce. Even though she broke our hearts with her foolish lip-syncing ruse at the Presidential Inauguration.
3. Doritos Locos Tacos. No explanation necessary.
4. Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez. We were all sad when you broke , but overrated celebrity cole drama like yours is what this country thrives on.
5. Taylor Swift break songs. Because we all love the guessing game of who T-Swizzle’s expired flavor of the week is.
6. Facebook. Be honest. You just checked it five minutes ago.
7. Gas station food. God bless ‘Merica.
8. Auto-tunes. Hide yo kids. Hide yo wives.
9. Grumpy cat. And for that matter, all memes in general.
10. Pinterest. You’ll never get those hours of your life back, but now you can cook, clean and work out simultaneously.
11. Mom blogs.
12. Cat videos.
13. Apple products. Now you can have the iPod, iPhone, iPad, iTouch, iMac and iAm-as broke-as-California-but-have-freaking-sweet-toys. With wi-fi.
14. Hashtags. #itsathing
15. Anything ever eaten by the guy on Man vs. Food. Because who doesn’t like to eat a burrito the size of your torso or a burger the size of your face?
16. Tap Out Shirts and white Oakley sunglasses. Thanks to the First Amendment, everyone can express themselves freely.
17. The Dollar Menu. Now you can have fries-with-that-thighs for cheaper.
19. Duct tape. Now you, too, can become insta-handy.
20. The Waffle House. Where you can have a waffle and a heart attack at the same time.
21. A mutual hatred for Nicki Minaj.
22. Duck Dynasty and Honey Boo-Boo. You know why.
23. Ikea, ironically enough.
24. YOLO and totes.
25. Freedom. Like it or not, this is the most blessed nation in the world. And like every dysfunctional family, at the end of the day, there is a deep (sometimes extremely deep) love rooted within each member.
Cultivating the love we have for this nation, complete with its quirks and rich with opportunity, is what will save it, and perhaps us.
Remember the joy that comes from watching a child’s eyes light from a firework display on the Fourth of July.
Think of the men and women who continue to serve our nation ensuring our ability to eat greasy food, stay late checking Instagram and live all the rights we have every single day of this American dream.